Home » Visit City Park » Botanical Garden
Ten Acres of Enchantment
Open year round, the ten acre New Orleans Botanical Garden contains more than 2,000 varieties of plants from around the world. The seeds for the Garden were planted in 1936, when the City Park Rose Garden opened. The Botanical Garden was funded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which created New Orleans’ first public classical garden. Today, it is one of the few remaining examples of public garden design from the WPA and displays the Art Deco influences of three renowned talents of the era: architect Richard Koch, landscape architect William Wiedorn, and sculptor Enrique Alférez.
Courtesy of The Helis Foundation, Louisiana residents receive free admission on Wednesdays. Residents should show their Louisiana ID to the cashier in the Oscar J. Tolmas Visitor Center.